Objective: Thyroid fine-needle aspiration biopsy (FNAB) is the golden standard for approaching thyroid nodules malignancy. It is recommended to carry out an FNAB from the dominant nodule in multi nodular goiter. In our study, we compared the FNAB results that we carried out from dominant nodule and any other nodule which have features that may be malignant to US. Besides, the relationship between the results of cytology and US features of nodules has been analyzed.
Material and methods: One hundred and ninety-seven cases diagnosed MNG were analyzed between 20092010, These cases followed by applying to endocrinology polyclinic were carried out FNAB from both dominant nodule and non-dominant nodule. Whole cystic nodules, nodules with peripheral calcification and nodules that its FNAB result has poor material were not used in the study and 171 cases were used. As a malignancy criterion at US, including hypo echoic pattern, solid structure, micro calcification features of nodule and not having peripheral halo feature of nodule were used. In statistical analyze, P<0.05 was accepted as significant.
Results: While malignancy rate was found 1.8% in dominant nodules, in non-dominant nodules malignancy rate was found 0.6% (total malignancy rate: 2.4%) and statistically it was not observed significant difference (P=0.53). In the cytological analyze of non-dominant nodules, malignancy rate was found significantly high (P<0.001) which those including micro calcification. In nodules not having peripheral halo, malignancy rate was also found significantly high (P=0.048). It was not determined statistically significant relation between malignancy and, hypo echoic pattern, solid structure as US features of nodules.
30 Apr - 04 May 2011
European Society of Endocrinology