Searchable abstracts of presentations at key conferences in endocrinology

ea0099p330 | Pituitary and Neuroendocrinology | ECE2024

A case of type 2 diabetes masked by insulinoma

Li Adrian , Khalilova Samira

Introduction: Insulinomas are the most common functioning endocrine neoplasms of the pancreas. 53% of patients are diagnosed within five years of experiencing their first symptoms. Surgical resection is the primary treatment modality. However, patients awaiting surgery or who are not surgical candidates have achieved symptomatic relief from medical therapy. Cases of insulinoma masking diabetes has been described but are rare and diabetes often presents following surgery. Here,...

ea0099p544 | Pituitary and Neuroendocrinology | ECE2024

A case of sporadic metastatic medullary cancer with distant metastases and negative RET mutation

Khalilova Samira , Li Adrian

Introduction: Medullary thyroid cancer accounts only 1% to 4% of thyroid cancer cases (1). 25% of cases are familial secondary to germline RET mutation, while the remaining 75% are sporadic and also harbour a somatic RET mutation in more than half of all cases. Up to 15–20% of patients will present with distant metastatic disease. The standard treatment for MTC is total thyroidectomy and dissection of cervical lymph node compartments. Post-operative levels of serum calcit...

ea00100wh2.2 | Workshop H: Miscellaneous endocrine and metabolic disorders | SFEEU2024

A case of type 2 diabetes masked by insulinoma

Khalilova Samira , Li Adrian

Introduction: Insulinomas are the most common functioning endocrine neoplasms of the pancreas. 53% of patients are diagnosed within five years of experiencing their first symptoms. Surgical resection is the primary treatment modality. However, patients awaiting surgery or who are not surgical candidates have achieved symptomatic relief from medical therapy. Cases of insulinoma masking diabetes has been described but are rare and diabetes often presents following surgery. Here,...

ea0091cb13 | Additional Cases | SFEEU2023

Persistent Hyperthyroidism Secondary to Ectopic Autonomous Thyroid Tissue

Subbiah Kasi , Khalilova Samira , Sathyanarayan Sheela , Dimitriadis Georgios

A 28 year old lady presented with a 4 month history of anxiety, palpitations, weight loss and a pressure sensation in the neck. On examination she had fine tremor of her outstretched fingers and no palpable goitre with a regular heart rate. FT4 was 22 pmol/l(10.3-24.5), FT3 7.9 pmol/l(3.5-6.5), TSH 0.02 mIU/l(0.3-5.5), TSH receptor antibodies (TRAb) <0.9 U/l(0-1.75) and TPO antibodies <4 IU/ml (0-35). She was started on Carbimazole 20 mg daily and after being well cont...

ea0094p92 | Neuroendocrinology and Pituitary | SFEBES2023

A functioning gonadotroph macroadenoma presenting with features of OHSS and sustained remission 4-years after TSS

Khalilova Samira , Gonzales Christine , E Drakou Eftychia , K Dimitriadis Georgios

It is well established that the majority of the immunohistochemically confirmed gonadotroph adenomas are hormonally silent, accounting almost 64% of all clinically nonfunctioning pituitary adenomas. Whereas clinically functioning gonadotroph adenomas (FGA) are very rare and the exact prevalence is not known. We present the case of a FGA in a premenopausal. A 31-year-old female presented in the ED with oligomenorrhea for 11 months, abdominal pain and distention over the precedi...

ea0094p239 | Neuroendocrinology and Pituitary | SFEBES2023

An aggressive prolactinoma with orbital involvement and excellent response to treatment with temozolamide. A case report and systematic literature review

Khalilova Samira , Gonzales Christine , E Drakou Eftychia , K Dimitriadis Georgios

A proportion of prolactinomas exhibit aggressive features (including invasiveness, relevant growth despite adequate dopamine agonist treatment, and recurrence potential) and few may exhibit metastasizing potential (carcinomas). We present an uncommon case of intra-orbital spread from a large infiltrative prolactinoma, with excellent response to temozolomide and a systematic review of the literature. A 55y.o male patient presented with generalized weakness and hyponatraemia. Fu...

ea0091p18 | Poster Presentations | SFEEU2023

Recurrent symptomatic pituitary hyperplasia mimicking macroprolactinoma in pregnancy

Onyema Michael , Tanveer Quratulain , Khalilova Samira , Lajeunesse-Trempe Fannie , Aylwin Simon , Dimitriadis Georgios K.

(1) 30-year-old woman presenting at 34 weeks of pregnancy with symptoms of persisting headaches, diplopia and nausea. She presented again 4 years later with similar symptoms in a subsequent pregnancy at 35 weeks with additional complaints of blurred peripheral vision. (2) During her first pregnancy biochemistry revealed marked prolactin elevation (14,000 mIU/l). A non-contrast MRI scan of the pituitary revealed significant enlargement of the gland (22 x 14.4 x 12.5mm) bey...