Endocrine Abstracts (2008) 15 P110

Beneficial synergistic interactions of TNF-[alpha] and IL-6 in C2 skeletal myoblasts; potential cross-talk with IGF system

Nasser al-Shanti, Amarjit Saini, Steve Faulkner & Claire Stewart


Institute of Biophysical and Clinical Research into Human Movement, Stoke On Trent, UK.


Tumour necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-α) is a pleiotropic cytokine well characterised as a mediator of skeletal muscle wasting. However, the role of interlukin-6 (IL-6) in skeletal muscle remains controversial.

Objectives: We therefore investigated the potential interactive effects of TNF-α and IL-6 on murine C2 skeletal myoblast survival, differentiation and proliferation.

Methods: Real time-PCR, creatine kinase assay, western blot and flow cytometry techniques were used to investigate the potential effect of TNF/IL-6 on C2 myoblasts cells.

Results: A novel and unexpected positive temporal interaction between TNF-α and IL-6 on cell growth (30±5%; P<0.05) was identified, with maximal beneficial effects obtained when IL-6 was added 24 h after TNF-α. Total cellular protein (35%), extracellular signal-regulated kinase (ERK) phosphorylation (40%), and S phase (2.5- fold) increased significantly (P<0.05), confirming cell growth. The expression of mRNAs of key regulators of muscle mass: insulin-like growth factor binding protein-5 (IGFBP-5), insulin-like growth -II receptor (IGF-IIR), IGF-II and insulin-like growth-I receptor (IGF-IR) were significantly (P<0.05) increased by 1600-fold, 2.0-fold, 4.5-fold, 13-fold respectively giving an indication of the regulatory mechanisms of this interaction. Moreover, the level of expression signal-transducing gp130 was induced up to 3.5-fold in the cells administrated with IL-6 at 24 h after TNF-α but not after either treatments alone. This may not only explain the beneficial effects of this treatment on skeletal myoblast numbers but also define a functional role of gp130 in skeletal muscle cells.

Conclusions: Our data suggest that in the presence of TNF-α/IL-6 functions positively and potentially also cooperatively with the insulin growth factor (IGF) system to achieve the maximal beneficial effect on skeletal myoblast numbers.

Article tools

My recent searches

No recent searches.