Searchable abstracts of presentations at key conferences in endocrinology
Endocrine Abstracts (2014) 34 P117 | DOI: 10.1530/endoabs.34.P117

SFEBES2014 Poster Presentations Clinical practice/governance and case reports (103 abstracts)

Polycythaemia is a common side-effect of testosterone therapy, regardless of treatment mode, and careful monitoring of haematological indices is required

Rahila Bhatti , Belinda Grimmett , Maeve McCarthy , Tomas Agusttson , Barbara McGowan , Jake Powrie & Paul Carroll

733 views


Guy’s and St Thomas Hospital, London, UK.


Background: Testosterone replacement is the mainstay of treatment for male hypogonadism. The most commonly reported adverse event in testosterone trials is polycythaemia. This study assessed the prevalence of polycythaemia in males receiving testosterone replacement and compared prevalence rates between different treatment preparations.

Methods: 216 men were included in this retrospective observational study conducted from January 2009 to December 2012. 155 (72%) were treated with i.m. testosterone in the form of testosterone undecanoate (Nebido) or Sustanon. The remaining 61 (28%) men were treated with transdermal testosterone gel. Data were collected on haemoglobin concentrations, packed cell volumes, gonadotrophins, total serum testosterone concentrations and prostate-specific antigen (PSA) levels. Polycythaemia was defined as at least one haemoglobin concentration ≥17 g/dl or packed cell volume ≥0.505. A raised PSA was defined as >4.4 μg/l.

Results: Overall, 38 men (17.6%) developed polycythaemia on at least one blood sample during the follow-up period. The rate of polycythaemia was higher in the i.m. treatment group (19.4%) than the transdermal group (13.1%), as was peak haemoglobin concentration (15.58 vs 15.00 g/dl) though only the later was statistically significant (P<0.05). Overall there was a positive correlation between peak haemoglobin concentration and mean total testosterone level (r(214)=0.138, P<0.05). No relationship was found between PSA and mode of treatment or total testosterone concentration. Contrary to other studies, no association was found between development of polycythaemia and older age.

Conclusion: Polycythaemia is common in men receiving testosterone therapy, regardless of treatment modality. This risk should be weighed against the potential benefits prior to initiating therapy. Men receiving testosterone treatment should have their haematological variables monitored regularly and testosterone dose adjusted accordingly.

Article tools

My recent searches

No recent searches.