Searchable abstracts of presentations at key conferences in endocrinology
Endocrine Abstracts (2018) 56 P1072 | DOI: 10.1530/endoabs.56.P1072

1Chair and Department of Endocrinology Jagiellonian University Medical College, Krakow, Poland; 2Department of Endocrinology, University Hospital in Krakow, Krakow, Poland; 3University Hospital in Krakow, Krakow, Poland; 4Department of Endocrinology and Metabolic Diseases, the Polish Mother’s Memorial Hospital- Research Institute, Lodz, Poland.

Iodine deficiency is considered the most common preventable cause of brain damage worldwide. It is particularly important during pregnancy, as it influences not only mothers but their fetuses as well. The Polish model of iodine prophylaxis is based on obligatory household salt iodization and recommendation of iodine-containing supplements for pregnant women. The aim of the study was to assess the current iodine status of pregnant women and to compare it with earlier results.

Material and methods: 1208 pregnant women aged 16-46 years (median 29 years) were included. 911 of them (75.4%) were investigated between 2007 and 2011, remaining 297 (24.6%) were studied in 2017. Signed informed consent was obtained from every participating woman. The urinary iodine concentration (UIC) in casual morning sample was assessed by Sandell-Kolthoff reaction. Thyroid volume was measured by ultrasound. Iodine supplements intake was assessed by a questionnaire. The study protocol was approved by the Local Ethics Board.

Results: The studied population of pregnant women proved to be iodine insufficient: median UIC was 94.9 mcg/l (lower quartile – 61.85 mcg/l, upper quartile – 149.0 mcg/l). The UIC significantly increased between 2007-2011 and 2018 (median 92.47 mcg/l and 111.45 mcg/l, respectively; P=008), but still did not meet iodine sufficiency criterion (between 150 and 249 mcg/l). In only 17.4% of investigated women, UIC value was within the optimal range of 150 to 249 mcg/l: 17.3% between 2007 and 2011, and 17.5% in 2018. 62.2% of pregnant women were taking iodine supplements: 63.3% of women investigated between 2007 and 2011, and 58.6% in 2011 (P=0.14). The median thyroid volume in the investigated group was 11.8 mL (lower quartile 9.2 mL, upper quartile 15.0 mL). There was no significant difference in thyroid volume between two groups: 11.9 mL between 2007 and 2011, and 11.6 mL in 2017.

Conclusions: Although during last 5 years iodine status of Polish pregnant women has improved, it has not reached a sufficiency level. Therefore the current Polish iodine prophylaxis model should be adjusted to provide pregnant women with adequate iodine intake.

Volume 56

20th European Congress of Endocrinology

Barcelona, Spain
19 May 2018 - 22 May 2018

European Society of Endocrinology 

Browse other volumes

Article tools

My recent searches

No recent searches.