Searchable abstracts of presentations at key conferences in endocrinology
Endocrine Abstracts (2018) 56 P857 | DOI: 10.1530/endoabs.56.P857

1Department of Endocrinology, Catholic University School of Medicine, Rome, Italy; 2Institute of Biochemistry and Clinical Biochemistry, Catholic University of Sacred Heart, Rome, Italy; 3Institute of Radiology, Catholic University School of Medicine, Rome, Italy; 4Laboratory of Vascular Biology and Genetics, Department of Medicine, Catholic University School of Medicine, Rome, Italy; 5Department of Pathology, Catholic University School of Medicine, Rome, Italy.

Purpose: Primary hypophysitis is a rare disease, with an autoimmune etiology. As few papers have investigated its genetic, our aim was to evaluate HLA status in a single-center series of patients.

Patients and method: A retrospective, longitudinal and cross-sectional study was conducted. Consecutive Caucasian patients, with clinical or histological diagnosis of primary autoimmune hypophysitis (PAH), undergone determination of HLA genotype, anti-pituitary and anti-hypothalamus auto-antibodies were included. This cohort was compared with a control group.

Results: A total of 16 patients was enrolled. Fourteen patients were female (87.5%). According to HLA-DR status, we found the following 9 out of 16 patients (56.3%) haplotypes that were associated to celiac disease (CD). Among these, 5 carried the DR7-DQ2 heterozygote haplotype (55.5%) while the remaining ones only the following haplotypes: DR3-DQ2 homozygote (25%), DR4-DQ2 heterozygote (25%), DR4-DQ8 heterozygote (50%), DR4-DQ8 homozygote (25%), respectively. A total of 12 CD-associated haplotypes were identified. In PAH, we found a significantly higher frequency of patients carrying CD-associated HLA-haplotypes as compared to the control group (respectively 75% vs 48% P=0.03; OR: 3.25 95%IC:1.1–10.3), particularly, for DQ2 and DQ8 haplotypes. DQ2 haplotype was detected in 50% of PAH and 38.4% of control group (P=0.3), while DQ8 haplotype in 25% of PAH and 7.2% of control group (P=0.01 OR:4.3 95%IC:1.3–14.7).

Conclusion: Our data suggest that PAH and CD share some HLA haplotypes, reinforcing the knowledge of their association. HLA haplotypes, particularly DQ8, may play a role in PAH management and diagnosis, also suggesting the predisposition to other autoimmune diseases.

Volume 56

20th European Congress of Endocrinology

Barcelona, Spain
19 May 2018 - 22 May 2018

European Society of Endocrinology 

Browse other volumes

Article tools

My recent searches

No recent searches.