Searchable abstracts of presentations at key conferences in endocrinology
Endocrine Abstracts (2019) 63 EP13 | DOI: 10.1530/endoabs.63.EP13

1Chair of Internal Medicine and Department of Internal Medicine in Nursing, Medical University of Lublin, Lublin, Poland; 2Department of Endocrinology, Medical University of Lublin, Lublin, Poland.

Adrenocortical carcinoma is an aggressive tumor of endocrine system with an annual incidence of 1–2 cases per million. The most significant prognostic factors are tumor size, disease stage at the time of putting the diagnosis and treatment method. Advanced age of the patient, and hormonal activity of the cancer are also related to poor prognosis.

Materials and methods: In our study we collected data of 12 patients who were treated in Endocrinology Clinic of Medical University of Lublin between 2007 and 2017. The following data were analyzed: patient’s age at the moment of putting the diagnosis, tumor size, disease stage, surgery method and its completeness and post-operative antineoplastic chemotherapy.

Results: In our group of patients, the majority of patients (66.6%, n=8) were women and men accounted for 33.3% of patients (n=4). In 58% of cases, tumor mass was located at the left side of the body, and in the remaining 42% of cases - at the right side. In 25% of patients the tumor was hormonally active (Cushing’s syndrome). The survival rate was strictly correlated with the tumor stage at the time of establishing the diagnosis. In all patients adjuvant treatment with mitotane was carried out with hydrocortisone treatment introduced simultaneously. Two patients received adjuvant systemic chemotherapy according to EDP regimen (etoposide, doxorubi-sin, and cisplatin).

Conclusions: Adrenocortical carcinoma is an aggressive and very rare tumor. Therefore, the preoperative evaluation and post-surgery treatment and follow-up should be performed in ex-perienced endocrinology clinics in order to improve patients’ prognosis.

Volume 63

21st European Congress of Endocrinology

Lyon, France
18 May 2019 - 21 May 2019

European Society of Endocrinology 

Browse other volumes

Article tools

My recent searches

No recent searches.

My recently viewed abstracts