Searchable abstracts of presentations at key conferences in endocrinology
Endocrine Abstracts (2022) 85 P45 | DOI: 10.1530/endoabs.85.P45

Alder Hey Children’s Hospital, Liverpool, United Kingdom

Background: Pubertal progression is inhibited in central precocious puberty with the use of gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH) analogues. They are usually given every 10 to 12 weeks via an intramuscular depot, but more recently, a 6-monthly preparation has become available for clinical use.

Aim: The aim of this project was to evaluate the efficacy and acceptability of 6-monthly triptorelin, a GnRH analogue, at a tertiary children’s hospital.

Methods: Individuals who were receiving 12-weekly triptorelin or were due to start GnRH analogue therapy were offered the 6-monthly preparation (Decapeptyl SR 22.5 mg). Clinical data was collected on the patients who have received 6-monthly triptorelin.

Results: In total, 34 patients were identified with a mean age of 7.4 years (+ 1.4SD; range: 2-9) at diagnosis. 32/34 (94%) patients were female. All patients received the medication for central precocious puberty and the triptorelin was switched from 12-weekly formulation to 6-monthly at an average age of 8.1 years (+1.6SD; range: 2-10). 61.8% of patients have received two doses of the 6-monthly medication to date, with the remaining 38.2% having had one dose. 44.1% of patients have been reviewed since commencing 6-monthly triptorelin and no progression in puberty has been noted. The injections have been tolerated well, with no side effects noted. The patient feedback has been positive with the need for less frequent injections and visits to the hospital.

Conclusion: The results have shown that over a short-term course, 6-monthly triptorelin has been well tolerated and has been effective in inhibiting pubertal progression. Long-term data is required, but these results are promising. The 6-monthly preparation has the potential to reduce the costs and the burden on limited healthcare resources.

Volume 85

49th Annual Meeting of the British Society for Paediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes

Belfast, Ireland
02 Nov 2022 - 04 Nov 2022

British Society for Paediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes 

Browse other volumes

Article tools

My recent searches

No recent searches.