Searchable abstracts of presentations at key conferences in endocrinology
Endocrine Abstracts (2022) 86 P190 | DOI: 10.1530/endoabs.86.P190

SFEBES2022 Poster Presentations Bone and Calcium (40 abstracts)

Analysis of receipt of bone protection prescribed post hip fracture in patients presenting for DXA

Sean Maher 1 , Breeda Sweeney 1 & Rachel Crowley 1,2

1St Vincent’s University Hospital, Dublin, Ireland; 2University College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

Background: Hip fractures are associated with high morbidity and mortality rates amongst older adults. The Irish Hip Fracture Database Standard 5 requires that all patients with a hip fracture have a bone health assessment completed. The majority are prescribed bone protection therapy to reduce further fractures. We sought to analyse the compliance and receipt of bone protection in patients presenting for DXA scan post hip fracture.

Methods: We retrospectively assessed receipt of bone protection therapy in 20 consecutive patients at presentation to DXA post hip fracture from April to July 2021. This was captured on the bone health questionnaire administered by the DXA technicians. Subsequently, we examined their medical notes to see the result of their bone health assessment and to investigate whether despite recommendations from their orthogeriatrician the patients had not received adequate bone protection therapy.

Results: 14/20(70%) patients who had had a hip fracture were clearly taking prescribed bone protection therapy on presentation to DXA at St. Vincent’s University Hospital (SVUH). In the remaining 6/20 (30%) it was unclear from discharge letters or prescriptions if they were in receipt of adequate protection. Analysis of medical notes revealed 2/20 (10%) had been discharged with the advice to start denosumab with their GP, 2 (10%) received IV Zoledronic acid prior to transfer to rehab. 1 (5%) was discharged for IV zoledronic acid as an OPD which has not been administered. 1 patient was discharged without adequate bone protection despite an orthogeriatrician recommendation. Zoledronic Acid was the most prescribed bone protection agent (45%), followed by denosumab (40%).

Conclusion: Despite clear recommendations from orthogeriatricians not all patients were in receipt of recommended bone protection therapy on presentation to DXA. Standardized templates for discharge letters to GPs and outpatient DXA clinics may help to improve compliance.

Volume 86

Society for Endocrinology BES 2022

Harrogate, United Kingdom
14 Nov 2022 - 16 Nov 2022

Society for Endocrinology 

Browse other volumes

Article tools

My recent searches

No recent searches.