ISSN 1470-3947 (print) | ISSN 1479-6848 (online)

Endocrine Abstracts (2008) 16 P273

The early results of the treatment of well differentiated thyroid cancer and its dependence on chosen factors

Joanna Klubo-Gwiezdzinska & Roman Junik

Department of Endocrinology and Diabetology, Collegium Medicum in Bydgoszcz, Nicolaus Copernicus University in Torun, Bydgoszcz, Poland.

The aim of the study was to estimate the influence of a thyroid remnants’ volume, postsurgical concentration of thyroglobulin and radioiodine dose on the early treatment efficacy of well differentiated thyroid cancer.

Material and methods: We retrospectively analyzed 91 patients (76 females, 15 men) with well differentiated thyroid cancer.

Results: Histological classification revealed 68.1% (62/91) papillary thyroid cancers, 25.3% (23/91) follicular thyroid cancers, and 6.6% (6/91) oxyphilic thyroid cancers. Among the group, 74 (81.3%) patients reached the remission criteria and the remaining 17 patients (18.7%) showed biochemical and morphological evidence of metastatic disease. The remission was obtained in 100% of patients in stage I of the disease, 68.4% – in stage II, 78.6% – in stage III and 33.3% in stage IV. The total radioiodine dose used in patients with remission, did not differ from the dose used in patients without remission. We did not observe the influence of remnant’s volume on treatment efficacy, however larger remants required higher dose of radioiodine to obtain the remission. Patients with remission had lower postsurgical thyroglobulin concentration, than patients without remission. (22.2 vs 103.3 ng/ml, P=0.00025). NPV of Tg level <5 ng/ml was 100% and PPV of Tg >15 ng/ml was 39.35%.

Conclusions: Early treatment results of well differentiated thyroid cancer depend on the clinical stage, and postoperative serum thyroglobulin level, measured after endogenous TSH stimulation. Early treatment results are not dependent on age, sex, histological type of thyroid cancer, the dose of radioiodine used in brackets of 60–150 mCi and additional diseases. Total thyroidectomy is equally efficient as near total.

Article tools

My recent searches

No recent searches.