Searchable abstracts of presentations at key conferences in endocrinology
Endocrine Abstracts (2015) 38 P273 | DOI: 10.1530/endoabs.38.P273

SFEBES2015 Poster Presentations Obesity, diabetes, metabolism and cardiovascular (108 abstracts)

Prevalence of vitamin D deficiency and its association with diabetes in a South-Asian population

Kavinga Gunawardane 1, , Noel Somasundaram 2 , Neil Thalagala 3 , Pubudu Chulasiri 4 & Sudath Fernando 2

1Oxford Center for Diabetes, Endocrine and Metabolism, Oxford, UK; 2National Hospital of Sri Lanka, Colombo, Sri Lanka; 3Family Health Bureau, Ministry of Health, Colombo, Sri Lanka; 4National Dengue Control Unit, Narahenpita, Colombo, Sri Lanka.

Introduction: Sri Lanka has been experiencing rapid urbanization, with ~30% of the population residing in urban areas. We report the age and sex-specific prevalence of dysglycaemia and vitamin D (VitD) status, along with the association between the two in an urban community in Sri Lanka.

Methodology: Using a stratified random sampling method, 369 subjects (116 men and 253 women) aged 18 years and above, were tested for 25OH VitD3, 75 g OGTT, and HbA1c. Demographic, anthropometric, educational, and social details were recorded using a standard proforma.

Results: The age and sex adjusted prevalence of VitD deficiency (<20 ng/ml) was 57.2% and VitD insufficiency (20–30 ng/ml) was 31%. The cumulative prevalence of VitD deficiency and insufficiency was 88.2%. Age and sex adjusted overall prevalence of diabetes was 26.9% and pre-diabetes was 32.3%. The cumulative prevalence of diabetes and pre-diabetes was 59.2%. Although, not statistically significant, the highest prevalence of VitD deficiency was found in the young adults of 18–40 years (64.2%). Females had a significantly higher prevalence of VitD deficiency at 63.7% (P<0.000). There was no significant difference in the different income groups. However, people of Sinhalese ethnicity had a higher prevalence of VitD deficiency (62%). Bivariate analysis using ANOVA t-test, to detect correlation between socio-demographic factors and VitD status found statistically significant association with female sex and VitD deficiency (P<0.01) Age and income status showed no statistical correlation with the VitD status. VitD status did not show a statistically significant correlation to type 2 diabetes mellitus or pre-diabetes (P=0.977 and P=0.972).

Conclusion: This study shows a high prevalence of dysglycaemia, VitD deficiency/insufficiency in urban Sri Lanka. Dysglycaemia was seen in half the population, with a large pool of subjects with pre-diabetes. Only 11.8% of the population was VitD replete. Females had a significantly higher prevalence of VitD deficiency. We could not detect a statistically significant correlation between VitD deficiency and dysglycaemia.

Volume 38

Society for Endocrinology BES 2015

Edinburgh, UK
02 Nov 2015 - 04 Nov 2015

Society for Endocrinology 

Browse other volumes

Article tools

My recent searches

No recent searches.